- Because 14% of Asian Americans live in poverty.
- Because we still face blockades and discrimination in the job market, a.k.a. the “bamboo ceiling.”
- Because America still looks at us like we’re “perpetual foreigners.”
- Because America still looks at us like we we’re the “yellow peril.”
- Because Asian American men are emasculated.
- Because Asian American womyn are exoticized and fetishized.
- Because a significant number of Asian American youth attend public schools that are under resourced and under privileged.
- Because gang violence plagues Asian American communities.
- Because Asian Americans lack representation in politics.
- Because a significant number of Asian Americans are undocumented.
- Because Asian Americans do more than get good grades.
- Because Asian Americans are not quiet, passive-aggressive, or submissive.
- Because Asian Americans raised hell during the Third World Liberation Front (TWLF).
- Because Asian Americans like Yuri Kochiyama and Richard Aoki were part of the Black Power Movement.
- Because Asian Americans had their own movement, the Asian American Movement.
- Because Asian Americans fought for workers’ rights during the United Farm Workers (UFW) Movement.
- Because Asian Americans stood in solidarity when there was no justice for Vincent Chin.
- Because Asian immigrant garment workers fought for equal rights when Jessica McClintock tried to deny them fair wages and a safe work environment.
- Because we have artists like Magnetic North and Blue Scholars.
- Because we are active in the LGBTQQIA community.
- Because we fought and are still fighting for a valid education.
- Because we are reclaiming our hystory and redefining our identities.
- Because Asian Americans are continuously organizing, mobilizing, and fighting for their communities and for our rightful place in this country.
- Because Asian Americans can fucking kick white supremist, nativist, racist, sexist asses.
- Because “model minority” is just a stereotype that attempts to cover the truth and use us as tokens.
This blog was created by several students at McGill - apparently where all the 'White' kids go - in response to this asinine article from Maclean's Magazine: "Too Asian?"
It was beautifully inspired by the lovely blog Pictures of Muslims Wearing Things.
Submit your photos and videos of Asians not studying (not limited to celebs!), and we'll post them!
- conniecannibal asked:I really appreciated seeing your response to that tattoo, particularly this: "...what you got tattooed on your arm is in fact not my work, but something you appropriated, a mangled version of something beautiful and honest." You articulated something that I've felt many times and fought hard to explain (as a Chinese person in a sea of "Chinese" tattoos and culture "appreciators"), so thank you for that, and thank you for the art.
I am so happy that we are able to draw and strengthen ourselves from this experience, love :)...
- Message from Grace: What Really Happened
Hi, I’m Grace the creator of Angry Women of Color United,...